Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bye Bye, Beto's

As a run-of-the-mill BYU student, I've had my fair share of trips to Beto's. The Mexican restaurant sits proudly on a prime spot of Provo real estate, a stone's throw away from any hungry coed.

Despite my long-standing respect for the place, I implore you Beto's fans to take State Street a few miles farther the next time you head out for large quantities of cheap, Mexican food. At State and Center in Orem (O-town, Ore-mizzle, Family City USA, etc... ), in the parking lot for Robert's Arts and Crafts, you'll find several men waiting for their wives to finish purchasing expensive crap. And you'll find Rancherito's.


The restaurant actually used to be a Beto's, before 'ol Rancherito stepped in and added some class. What class? For starters, Rancherito reduced the number of weird things you find in your burrito meat by at least 50%. In addition, Rancherito put surround sound up and blasts authentic Mexican music as you chow down and wonder if they cut back on food quality in order to give you such a heaping portion.

Despite the changes, Rancherito's still features the things you love from Beto's; a condiments kiosk featuring freshly cut limes, cilantro, red salsa, and green salsa; cashiers that that don't speak much English; and a hearty load of beans and rice with every dish. So grab a significant other, a 10-dollar bill, and head on over to Rancherito's; you're guaranteed to come out on top.

As a side note, the tamarindo drink is pretty rough.

4 comments:

Triz said...

I've been to that very location Mr. Mitchell and I have to tell you...... it is no Beto's. I had hardly any cheese in my monster burrito. Very disappointing.

Seth Schenfeld said...

Curious to know how this dump compares to the sacred Del Taco ...

Adam said...

Mexican food, for me, can get a bit TOO authentic, if you catch my drift.

This place sounds like it falls in that category.

They don't call them burritos for nothing, after all.

Jeff said...

Funniest blog post I've read in a long time Ross.