Monday, September 21, 2009

The Challenge


Had a little chat with my wife tonight... I have a new goal that I wanted to discuss, and hopefully get her approval on. As many of you know, she's with child. Assuming a normal pregnancy, she has 24 weeks left. So just under two trimesters to go.

OK, enough pregnancy talk. My goal is to keep up with my wife's pregnancy weight, pound for pound. A credible source tells me that the average woman should gain about a pound a week during the final two trimesters.

So... can I gain 24 pounds by the time the baby arrives?

Wait, before you answer that question you need to understand my body type. I'm 6'1" and I currently sit at a buck fifty-five. Been at that mark a long time, too. I've got the metabolism of a chipmunk and the build of a greyhound (the dog, not the bus).

Also, I will make the attempt without supplements, pills, or protein shakes. Save the creatine for high school jocks. I'm a man of the land, and I'll be consuming meat, potatoes, and country grits.

Surprisingly enough my wife said she doesn't care if I make the attempt, just because she doesn't think I can do it. What do you think? Feel free to cast your vote in the sidebar.

9 comments:

Russ Nelson said...

Sorry Rock, but I don't think you got it in you. Post your diet. I want to see how you plan to attack this beast!

Kathy said...

You are your father's son - I see little hope. Lance is his mother's son, he would like to lose 24 pounds.

Kathy said...

By the way - I know how to gain 24 pounds. I can advise you.

Carolyn L. said...

This is the total opposite of running a 5 minute mile. I could do it without even trying and it wouldn't take me 9 months.

JP Anderson said...

So is this strictly just diet or are you going to be hittin the gym too? I guess what I'm saying is are you going to be fat Ross or live up to your nick name Rock? I'll be interested to see how this works out for you either way.

Lindy said...

any man that can run a mile in 4:46 can gain weight (assuming he stops running).

Kevin

Jeff said...

Rock, I run all the time and I'm still over two bucks. Butter. Butter. Butter. That should get you about 36 lbs. by the end.

Sarah said...

I just want to see if you can end up looking like the guy on your Christmas card from last year!
You better make sure you keep telling Megan how great she looks, though. It's suffocating to gain weight when you can't even stop it.

Sarah said...

P.S. What if Megan gains fifty pounds? Hmm? Think you can keep up with that?

I recommend going with her to all her doctor appointments. The first thing they do is weigh in. You could get on the scale right after her, and the nurse could keep track of your poundage for you!