Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Utopia

I spend plenty of time in my car--mostly because of my commute. About a year ago I decided to start listening to books on CD, and it has generally made driving much more enjoyable.

So a few days ago I was at the library looking for another book on CD. The library was closing in a couple minutes, and I couldn't find anything interesting. On my last glance I saw Sir Thomas More's Utopia and decided to give it a whirl.

Bad mistake.

I'm sure it's a great literary work and all, but it's as boring as C-Span. The book, written in 1516, is essentially More's ramblings (in very old English, mind you) as he describes the political arrangements of the imaginary island of Utopia to some other boring guy.

If you consider getting stuck in traffic to be lame, getting stuck in traffic AND having listening to Utopia is like salt in the wound.

Anyway, More goes off on the way this Utopia, or perfect society, should punish criminals, conduct sheep farming, monitor excessive fashion, etc... His dissertation got me thinking of how my Utopia would pan out.

What would not exist in my Utopia:

www.theonion.com
1. People that wear bluetooth headsets all the time
2. The Clinton's
3. John Mayer

What would exist in my Utopia:

www.show.me.uk
1. Domesticated penguins
2. A college football playoff
3. Carbonated water running through all culinary water pipes (for some reason I've always wanted to take a shower in club soda)

You may not sign up for everything in my Utopia, but I promise it will be more interesting than Sir Thomas More's.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm not brave enough to try and get past the lady at our Costco without showing my card. Way to go, brave Ross.

Costco is great. I've been enjoying our six pound tub of minced garlic for nearly four years now!