Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Kool-Aid tastes funny in Arkansas

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/vasandack/kool_aid_man_main.jpg

In a particular Simpson's episode, Homer is on tour with the The Smashing Pumpkins. In a scene backstage, he is quizzed by a couple members of the famous rock band:

Billy Corgan: Hey, Homer, looks like our next stop is your hometown, Springfield.
D'Arcy: Is it true that we have to bring our own water?
Homer: We got a little rule back home: if it's brown, drink it down; if it's black, send it back.

In Arkansas, bright blue is the new brown...

Earlier this month, a day-care operator near Little Rock served windshield wiper fluid to 10 children. According to reports, the operator thought the brightly colored liquid was Kool-Aid. It was even chilled in the fridge before serving.

The good news; all 10 kids were quickly released from the hospital and are doing fine. The bad news; Arkansas just reaffirmed its usual stereotype.

I imagine a lot of people are outraged at the incident (like, say... the parents of these 10 kids), but I can understand the screw up. As a youth, I went through many unpleasant experiences while trying to figure out which liquids were palatable, and which were not.

For instance, my mom would always save the juice from cans of vegetables and use it for soup stock. When I came across the pale-colored liquid while sneaking through the fridge, I'd often mistake it for pineapple juice. It shouldn't be a surprise when I tell you the sweetness of green-bean juice certainly doesn't measure up to that of the pineapple.

On that same note, I also vividly remember a time when I found a mason jar full of brown liquid in the fridge. Mmmm... root beer! After taking a hearty swig, I was quickly reminded that my mom was big on homemade maple syrup.

I guess kids just have a knack for expecting things to be better than what they really are. That is, if it's wet, drink it down. How else do you account for Kool-Aid's success?

3 comments:

Adam said...

What an odd thing to write about.

Sarah said...

Do you remember the time Dad thought the dark colored liquid in the pot on the stove was syrup. Wrong. It was just the water left from the black beans she had a'cookin'.

She also gave dad a nice tall glass of cornstarch mixed with water on April Fool's day and told him it was milk!

It's a wonder any of us dare drink anything but water at her house.

Jeff said...

So, a year or two ago I was at Chuck a'Rama with some random friends dared one of the guys in the group to drink a concoction of food/liquid. I began drinking it for some reason, only to find out after that there was saliva in the drink. Not smart. Be grateful you were only surprised by maple syrup and vegetable juice Rock.